The fast changing digital landscape, evolving market dynamics and shifting customer preferences have forced companies to become smart and lean. The need to provide value addition and a seamless customer experience means businesses need to adopt cutting edge technologies but at cost effective rates. The rigours of pursuing digital transformation have led businesses to operate efficiently, reduce redundancies and strengthen security. Since legacy systems are often a step behind in achieving the above objectives, businesses look at cloud based solutions.
How Important is Cloud Computing?
The challenges of sustaining and growing the scale of business mean businesses should adopt cutting edge technologies to streamline processes and secure their systems. Moreover, these are needed to be achieved by following business models that are cost effective. This is where on-demand leveraging of cloud based resources can be of help for their scalability, agility, cost, security, and efficiency. Cloud can be the perfect change agent to achieve digital transformation initiatives. In fact, by adopting these resources in the form of SaaS, PaaS or IaaS, businesses can develop customized solutions and become more responsive to customer needs.
Advantages of Moving to the Cloud
- If the requirements of a business change in terms of bandwidth, databases and systems, then the flexibility offered by cloud based resources can be helpful. For, depending on the need of the business, resources can be scaled up or down leading to significant cost savings.
- Cloud provides robust backup recovery options, which smaller businesses may find cost intensive to build in-house.
- Businesses need not bother about updating the software from time to time, for the same is done by the cloud service provider.
- Cloud based resources can be accessed from anywhere and through any platform or device. This provides stakeholders like the employees, management, clients or vendors the flexibility to be in touch with the business anywhere and anytime.
- Addressing the security issues can be a challenge for enterprises. On the other hand, cloud based resources are inherently more secured (especially the private cloud.) This aspect gives businesses the leeway to save cost, time and resources. For example, you can remotely wipe out sensitive information from lost devices lest it falls into the wrong hands.
However, notwithstanding the benefits of cloud computing, enterprises often find it challenging to migrate their legacy systems to the cloud. This is where a professional cloud migration service provider can be of help. Let us list out the steps enterprises should take for a successful cloud migration.
- Take on board all stakeholders, that is, from the management, software developers and vendors to the end user (employees). Everyone should be briefed on the key challenges the business can face while migrating to the cloud. The IT team should ensure critical processes do not get hampered.
- Proper process maps should be drawn and a roadmap laid for the process to get underway.
- The process should be done in a phased manner to minimise disruption.
- Bring all subsidiaries, branches, departments and processes onto cloud for better integration.
- Choose cloud technology that aligns with the business goals.
The adoption of cloud based services and migrating to the same can be a challenging exercise albeit beneficial in the long run. It is better to engage a professional and experienced cloud migration service provider to cause minimal disruption and achieve better outcomes.